Hydro maintenance

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by johnnywalker, Jan 3, 2002.

1. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Banned

Is there any benefit or detriment in changing the hydro filter at 50 hrs instead of the recommended 250hrs?
    Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Johnny Walker,

I can't really think of any advantage to changing the fluid at 50 hours so the disadvantages would out way the advantages for sure.

Changing the fluid too often is not only not necessary but keep in mind that the only way to get contamination into a closed system is to open it to the environment. This can only be done if a hose is punctured, a hose is removed, a filter is removed or the reservoir cap is removed.

The filter is a 10-micron filter and will filter out any particles that are large enough to damage the internal components of the pumps or the wheel motors. That means the only other reason to change the fluid is due to contamination or thermal breakdown due to heat. The hydro system simply will not get hot enough to damage the fluid during normal use.

The fluid maintains its ability to lubricate so well that some operators don't even change the fluid. They just change the filter after the first 250 hours and then once every 1000 hours or annually after than. I don't generally recommend this practice because with a vented reservoir cap it is possible to get condensation in the hydro tank and water and Mobil 1 don't mix real well.

Basically if it's not broke don't fix it and follow the maintenance schedule outlined in the operator’s manual.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Terry

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When I changed my fluid recently, it almost hurt my feeling seeing the clean mobil 1 hit the drain pan.