1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by specialtylc, May 26, 2004.

1. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

When I bought my first hydro mower 6 years ago , some people said that the gear or belt drives were more dependable. We now have 4 machines that are hydro and 2 of them have almost 2000 hours on the meters. I have never had a single hydro related failure. My question is, have any of you guys had any trouble with your hydro pumps or motors on your mowers? :)
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I had to replace a pump at maybe 400 hours or so because of a stripped out part in the adjusting valve on it on a Toro. I may have inadvertently caused the problem though I'm not sure. I didn't overtorque it, but it stripped out somehow. $600 repair.

I think it's not that gears are more dependable, they probably wear out MORE parts, but the parts they wear out are relatively cheap to fix, and since they're also simple, you can fix them yourself and save on labor.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I have always heard the opposite, that hydros are nearly maintenance free (not quite obviously, but close).
  4. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I run only hydros, but may switch my 36" back to belt b/c the 36" hydro is very touchy (lesco).
  5. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

geez my mower went back four times the first month i had the machine because of hydraulic problems 6 hours on the machine and textron replaced the whole hydro system aint that a *****
  6. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Never had a hydro failure, had bolts on a motor work loose once. I have 1 36" belt left in the fleet and would love to replace it but it only gets about 45 minutes of run time a week. Hardly worth spending 3500.00 on a new hydro....Chuck
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

so far (knock on wood) not a failure, unlike the belts