hydro-mulching

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by c cole, Feb 20, 2008.

1. c cole

c cole LawnSite Member

does anyone know anything about hydro-mulching?.. someone mentioned it to us, but we don't know much about it... our problem is that the complex we mow layed sod last year and it didn't root right i guess, but its all weeds and the owners don't want to pay for weed and feed, so someone told us to hydro-mulch instead of lay grass seed, it would be cheaper for us (since we have to pay for it) and easier.... does anyone have any suggestions???

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Are you asking if you can hydroseed over dead sod?

Which method are you going to use?

Hydroseeding-mixing seed, mulch, fert and water in a tank spraying the slurry down

Hydromulching- mixing mulch, water, fert. Spreading seed down on the ground then spraying slurry over the top.

Hydroseeding is just a method, it isnt magic fairy seed. You still need to have seed soil contact for the seed to germinate and grow properly, if you spray over the top of dead sod you will have poor results, you should strip it then seed.(you shouldnt strip, you should strip the dead sod) lol First i would determine why it failed, site conditions, wrong grass for site, poor soil , soil test, flood or failure to water?

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Humble... first find out why the sod planting failed. Not enough irrigation? Bad soil chemistry? Not enough organic material? An infestation or disease of some kind?

I definitely would not hydro-seed over turf. That's as I understand it, better for bare soil seeding, but not on dead sod. If I wanted to take a shot in the dark, I'd slit seed it.... but would not have high expectations.

There is a reason the sod failed. Find out why, and go from there.

4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

slice wont get enough penetration, and wont grow well if its in the middle of decomposing sod. strip it, if its loose york rake, spot area use a sod cutter, topdress. when i used to do alot of irrigation i would see sod laid over gravel on road edges, probably a soil probldem or site problem, sorry on typing holding a 1 year old that wants to get down, bed time

5. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I slit seed a yard last fall that was sod ed the fall before and never made it through the dry last summer grass came in good looked nice there were couple spots that tough were the sod never got good roots and kind of balled up but little hand work fixed it the ground under it was not very good in some places it was gravel the grass wont grow there very good and the owner knows this
    Charles Cue

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I would bet on the sod having been allowed to dry out. It only takes one dry period to kill sod.
    Does the dead sod lift easily when tugged on, have the sod pieces shrunk(gaps between pieces). Both would tell that water was the problem.

I would not recommend hydroseeding over dead sod. Remove it first.