1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro oil and filter advice Ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fdew, Apr 13, 2001.

1. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

I am about to change the hydro oil and filter on my Ferris Procut 22 It now uses Mobil DTE26 or S.A.E. 20-50

Any advice on oil to use, changing, air in system?

This is a 3 wheel rider with transmision, not wheel motors

2. steve

steve LawnSite Member

Use Pennzoil 20w-20 (NOT 20-50) in your three wheeler.
    Just pull the filter off, drain the oil, put new filter on. Then fill the resovoir with 20-20 and drive the machine a little bit and add oil as needed. They're may be a little air in the system but it will work it's way out.
  3. nysnowman

nysnowman LawnSite Member

Ive got a ferris IS rider,my dealer told me use a
    5w50 synthetic oil.What did they charge you for the filters.My dealer whacked me for $18 each .Ive got two.

PIONEER LawnSite Member

Add straight 20 or 30 weight motor oil never use multi grade oil. Keep everything clean this is very important. After both filters are changed, support the machine securely off the ground and fill the reservoirs 3/4 full then start the egine and run the machine at full speed for about 15 minutes , add oil during this as necessary. Then watch the oil level for the next couple of days.
  5. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

Thanks all, I talked with my dealer and he said not to change the oil, just the filter, (The oil dosn't run out when you remove the filter.) He says the machine ships from Ferris with SAE 20w20 (I mis typed before) He recomended just filling the new filter with 20w20 and screwing it on.

He charged $15 with tax. (DJ in Lima) His blades and belts are a little cheaper to.

I see that J Thomas on the net has the filter at $9.75 but I wimped out.

When I do this again, how would I drain all the oil?