Hydro Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nosmo, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran this question in the Mechanic and Repair section and only got 2-responses but I'd like to see if there are more from this forum.

My manual reads use Shell Rimula 15W40 or equal in the hydro tank. I am considering using Castrol 15W40 GTX Diesel instead.

Shell Rimula X (not Rotella) is a diesel engine oil too. I am just curious what you fellows are using in your equipment.

Nosmo

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Mobil one 15w50

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Is the Rimula a synthetic oil? If it is, then I'd just assume that Shell has the contract with that particular mower mfg., much like Mobil 1 has with many others.

Point is, most recommend the use of mobil 1- 15w50 synthetic ONLY.

Your machine is a Cub Tank (judging by your avatar pic)? Where's the other Tank and Z-Two owners out there??? Just curious if they all have the same recommended oil.

Or... You could be like my Dixon mechanic and just dump some 10w30 in the hydro system WITH the 15w50 synthetic that was already in there and then say "oil is oil, it really dosn't matter" (that was his response when questioned about it, even though the machine called specifically for 15w50 syn.)

4. Nosmo

Yes it is a 2006 54" Tank. Before that year the manuals were stressing 20W50 oil. Now the book states Rimula 15W40 .

However there are different varieties of the Rimula itself. Yes how about some Cub Tank owner replies.

Nosmo

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I Googled Shell Rimula and found numerous references. Apparently it is a parallel product to Rotella, and is marketed in Europe and the Mid East, Australia, ect. There were reference to America, but it did not say north or south. I have never seen here and would use Rotella when you see this one mentioned.

6. Nosmo

I saw it in my dealer's business Thursday. Asked about using 15W40 or 20W50 his reply was we use the 15W40 here. Yes and it was Rimula in a black quart container.

But the reason I drove 15 miles one-way to the dealer's was to get the drop in Hydro Filter and guess what -- the shop didn't have one.

That's another question -- other than the filter which fits a Lesco (closest dealer is 60 miles) does Toro or X Mark use the same hydro tank and filter as the Lesco/Tank ?

Nosmo

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I would stick with whatever weight the manual says to use. Along with the formulation(synthetic or dino oil).

However, I think that if the oil meets the same API and SAE specs, you should be fine to use any brand as long as the weight is the same.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The 2006 and later models have a different system setup than previous models.

For better or worse, you have less fluid, a different filter and different fluid.

I can't believe the dealer didn't have the filter. That's scary.
    Just go to Lesco.com, pull up the parts manual and then order a filter through them.

It will come to your doorstep in notime.

I would run exactly the recommended oil in that system until we know more about it.

9. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running automatic transmission fluid in my exmark TT with no problems. It's what we run in all our plows too.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Is this what your Exmark Operator's Manual tells you to use? I know of no Exmark that uses automatic transmission fluid for their hydro system. The operating characteristics of an automatic transmission in a vehicle is much different than the hydro system in a w/b mower.