Hydro Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jan 26, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to change the hydro iol in the mower this spring. I heard something about air getting into the lines. What is this about and how can I change it? Does anyone know where I can get a snapper manual? The dealer wanted to charge me $10 for one he prints out.:mad: I tried to write to snapper and they gave me a bunch of BS and i'm tired of it. Any replies are greatly appreciated.:)
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your best bet is to follow the directions in the manual. 10 bucks spent on a machine that makes you many, many thousands a year isn't a bad tradeoff.
  3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

If your worried about messing up the machine & unsure on exactly how to do it just drop it off to your dealer & let him square it away....just an idea...

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

$10 is a fair price to pay.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

After you have spent a lot more time checking eBay you will end up paying the dealer $10.00. That price is quite cheap compared to doing something wrong and having to get it professionally repaired. Making a mistake on the hydro system will not be a $10.00 repair. Just bite the bullet and spend the money.

6. lawncare3

Does anuone know approx how much a hydro oil change will cost from the dealer if I buy the oil & filter?
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The manual can come in handy for other things. This is the time of year to get things prepared.

I would imagine the dealer will provide the oil and filter.
  8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

If i remember correctly last year my Turf Tiger hydro filter was like $20 i think?? When the dealer told me i was like, geez those are expensive, couldnt i just go to the local automotive store, he was like these filters are alot better, plus its for your hydro system so $20 for a filter compared to whatever it is to fix the whole hydro system.
    Id say go to the dealer buy the filter, you can buy the oil at an automotive store and do it yourself just follow the manual. Its not that hard, unless you dont have a place to do it or no time.
  9. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

It will probably cost the same in total as if you let the dealer furnish the oil and filter.

You are taking profit away from him when you go in and say "here, fix my equipment, oh, by the way, use these parts I bought somewhere else to save money."

Will you mow my yard cheaper if I furnish the mower?

Let the dealer make a little money and you can expect good service. Nickel and dime him to death and he will hate to see you coming and treat you accordingly.

You will become the PITA customer that we all hate.

Good to want to save money, but think about whether it is worth it or not.
  10. lawncare3

Do you think they will charge me over $100? Last time they charged me over $20- for a spring that costs $4.99 in a catalog (with shipping. Do you think he did this because i'm a kid?