hydro or belt drive, convince me that hydro is better

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, May 30, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

Why does everyone run a hydro? The belt drive scag i have is 17 years old. I runs great (new motor last year). But a new belt scag 52 is about 2300 and a new hydro is like 4000 bucks. So why is it so much better? Is it only for the ability to get superior traction in damp weather and variable speed? Is the cut not the same? I just dont see where it is cost effective. But there is obviously something to it, as i see most people have a hydro these days. Thanks
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I want a hydro because my belt drive slips when it gets wet. I was told that something has to give when it's wet out but, my mowers tires are the small ones and the belt runs in the 3" grass and dew gets it wet. Belt drives are bullet proof other than that.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Add about a thousand bucks to both numbers.
  4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I was just quoted $4,500 pre tax for an '05 eXmark TTHP witha 36" deck and 15HP Kawi V twin.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My guys would simply quit if I told them I was getting rid of our hydros and replacing them with belts. And to be perfectly honest about it, I wouldn't blame them in the least bit either. I would do exactly the same. Period
  6. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Rod what you just said made me think of the one guy at my dealer. His exact words were "Once you use a hydro you will never go back"

That is the reason i'm looking to upgrade. I'm tired of pulling a 400+ pound machine out of a corner or holding on for dear life while going down a slight hill.
  7. rodfather

You got it Rob...plain and simple about never going back. Funny thing is, I never went there and never plan on it either...
  8. rodfather

Almost forgot...unless I wanna go to being a solo op. NOT!
  9. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

We have only used Hydro's, and after reading that...............................I know for a fact we will stick with Hydro's. ;)
  10. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Well my Metro has served me well for 3 going on 4 years but, the wheels are turning in my head and it's been a dream to own one of those since I first saw them. I have done a ton of research I've looked at just about eveything out in the 36" size but, I don't want to go to a different dealer and drop major bucks and God forbid the machine takes a sh*t and i'm put behind Mr.Homeowner.

Rod, What did you start out with? Did you start out with belts? And when did you decide that #1 It's hydro ONLY. and #2 What made you go to all Ferris?

Thank You