1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro or Belt drive for primary mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MainePPC, Jun 19, 2010.

1. MainePPC

MainePPC LawnSite Member

I am going to start mowing a good number of my plowing accounts and am looking to buy a ZT 48" or 52" walk behind as my primary mower. I have been told by some to only go with a Hydro and others have told me to save my money and go with a belt drive. Anyone have any suggestions or info that may help me out? Thanks!

2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

How many lawns do you mow daily? My hands get pretty fatiqued after running my 36" snapper pro belt drive for a few hours. My next mower will definitely be a hydro. However if this is your first walk behind and a limited budget, I would just buy a belt drive then upgrade later.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on how much you are going to use the mower. If it is only for 10 accounts a week, then a belt drive is going to be fine. But if its 20+ accounts a week, then a hydro may be a little more what your looking for. A hydro is very manuverable, more so than a belt drive mower.

If you are going to have to go around a lot of obsticles, turn around alot, mow hills often, mow narrow/small areas, or plan on putting a sulky on the mower....then a hydro is definately what you are looking for.