hydro or belt drive?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by onpoint, Jan 22, 2007.

1. onpoint

onpoint LawnSite Member

im in the market 4 a new/used walk behind.... can someone tell me the big difference if any.......will be used on st. augustine and bahia grasses

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

The difference is one being a hydro and the other belt driven...hydro will manuver better when its wet out and a belt tends to slip especially on hill sides. Hydro is a much better way to go IMO. Also instant forward to reverse will shave some time off of a route.

3. onpoint

onpoint LawnSite Member

thanx 4 that info nobagger

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Use the search feature. There are TONS of threads on this subject.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

hydro has pumps.

gear has belts.

That is the major difference.:waving:

seriously, perform a search there are loads and loads of info on this. There are pros/cons to each.

6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

7. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i have both and i really like my jd gs 36 which is belt drive the belts are teethed so they dont slip in wet conditions and its really easy to use i havent had any problems with it either i never replaced belts until and employee tried to mow a tree but it has been 5 years with no problems so it was about time anyway lol but if you get a hydro get a dual hydro not single

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your mowing alot of hills and going across instead of up and down go with gear drive. Hydros are harder to control going across the hill than gear drive units.