Hydro or belt driven walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DixieChopper88, Jan 5, 2007.

1. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

Today i went to a local scag dealer and looked at the wbs; they had a 52" and a 48". The 52 was a hydro-drive and the 48 was belt driven. There was around a 1600 dollar difference in the prices. The guy said it would be better to get the hydro because it works great in wet conditions, but i don't if he is trying to get more money out of me or if that is true. Looking for input from you guys on which one would be better. THank you, josh

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a no brainer ==> Hydro ....not only the better tracking in wet conditions .... not adjusting the brakes n replacing the pads 2x year ....not having to shift into reverse or higher gears .... it'll be the best $1600 extra you ever ...n that's ever paid

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Hydro's are better on wet grass for several reasons. Belt drive machines spin their wheels when first engaged, with a hydro you can slowly accelerate just like you would with your car on a wet road.

4. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

i wont allow my wheels to spin and they are belt...even in mud playing around...however the snow is different. while joy riding in the cul de sac geting nasty on the velkie like a snow board, the belts got wet. so no go. with my 130 lbs behind it it wouldnt pull.

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

there are over 1000 posts like this one.

search!

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Hydro's work better in the rain, are safer on hills, and are more productive. So I would go hydro.

7. larryslawn

larryslawn LawnSite Member

I have a 36" scag wb and love it. If it is to wet for the belts to grip you should not be mowing anyway. Plus their are no hoses to bust or catch on things. But i will say that backing up is a pain but not that bad once you get the hang of it.

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Never used scags beforebut I would want a hydro piece of crap over anything belt driven. If you have any places that you y=think you might want to back out of- a corner or a tight turn- you will love the hydro. A hydro will do better when it is wet but yhat is not why you buy one. You but a hydro because it is easier on you and the turf. Instant reverse, more control, better resale, hydros last longer than belts & trannys. You WILL NOT go wrong with the hydro. You WILL hate yourself if you get the belt. That is if you can swing the extra money.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

So your saying that he shouldn't mow if there is Dew on the lawn like there is just aboout every morning in the summer. Last time I check a heavy dew was just enought to make a belt drive start slipping. If you can stop everytime the grass is alittle wet, you don't have enough lawns.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would not have a lot of concern about Scag belt drive we have two and they have done just fine. I also have Scag Hydro and understand the value of the hydro. If you are going into the big wide units then I assume you will be going in straight lines so concerns about increased productivity with hydro would not be a factor. We mowed a lot of grass in the rain so that wasnt' a problem.