1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro or Belt Driven?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pgalardi, Sep 17, 2007.

1. pgalardi

pgalardi LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I currently mow 12 lawns with my 36" hydro scag walkbehind. I want to go bigger. I never used a belt driven mower, but I can get a new toro 48" belt driven for $2250. Any advice is appreciated.
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never seen a Toro 48" belt drive for that cheap. Are you sure it is brand new? My dealer has 36" belt drive WB for around 3700.
  3. pgalardi

pgalardi LawnSite Member
    from NJ

yeah, the dealer said 2250... he said it was a great deal, that he was sending them back to toro... that were to be demo models or something.
  4. pgalardi

pgalardi LawnSite Member
    from NJ

how do you like the belt drives compared to the hydro? I have small yards, mostly 100' x 200' so I do alot of turning.
  5. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro all the way
  6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer hydro. Much smoother, some of the belt models slip if you're cutting in the wet, but not too much of a problem with the Toro belt drives. Reversing is easier with hydro as well.Do you have a sulky for that WB? It will speed up your productivity a lot.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Toro belt drives are good mowers and the 2007 models have the Turbo force deck w/ adjustable baffle. We use ours all the time without much of a problem even when its wet. I would however suggest if you mow alot of hills or need to back up alot the hydro might be the way to go. Whatever model you get make sure you get the Tru Trak sulky with it, you will love that thing.
  8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the Hydro. Much easier to control, no belts to slip, and they are just worth the extra money.
  9. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

If your gonna buy a new larger mower go with a hydro especially if it is your main mower.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. If you have hydro now, and you purchase a belt, you will be asking yourself. "What was I thinking?" No matter how good of deal you got, it will always be an issue of having been able to put that money toward a more suitabe machine for growth.