hydro or belt walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by a_wv_buckeye, Jun 9, 2001.

1. a_wv_buckeye

a_wv_buckeye LawnSite Member

I would like to hear from the PROS which is better? I am looking at a used 36" Lesco Hydro or used 48" Lesco Belt drive. The area I mow is mostly sloped, so much I have to keep a small Kubota rider with a 48" deck in 4WD most of the time.
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydros are great but expensive good on hills. Belts are cheaper and slip in wet conditions. I have no problems with belts, yet... I would think that a 36" would be a waste with a hydro since its small and you wouldnt use it alot. But if its a dedicated mower and you cut most of the week with it and maybe have a sulky or velky with it get the Hydro thy are nice and I think more manuverable.
  3. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

for ease of manuverability I would go with hydro. I didn't and wish I had. I will probably sell my gear drive soon so that I can have the $$ available for a hydro.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

wv buckeye--I have a lesco 48 belt and I recomend that unit. a hydro would be better but there is the extra cost to consider.

the 36 hydro would be good on hills. you will find that the wb's will probably out do that kubota on hills. you will have more control and the wb weighs less than your kubota with you sitting on it. mow your hills from bottom to top and side to side.

my comment on belts slipping in the rain is that some do more than others. my lesco 48 belt DOES NOT SLIP unless I actually get the belts under water. even then they dry quickly.

good luck on your choice.

BTW, where in w bG va are you?

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

hydro :-> .....easier on the body ..... works better in wet conditions ....... greater re-sale value
  6. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Why do they even make a belt drive. Take a hydro for a test and you'll never want a belt drive. Well worth the extra $$$$$$.
  7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" GD w/b. It manuvers very well, which u give up with belt drive. Hydros are great in wet, but belts are less LIKELY (still will) to tear up turf. Personally, if u can afford it, get a 48" hydro, or a 52". I should have maybe gotten a 52".
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a hydro and a belt drive w/b. Both have been used on hills, and I would suggest the hydro for hills. You will spend alot of time fighting the belt drive in these situations.
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have owned a belt drive w/b. I now have only hydros. Night and day difference, in my opnion. I feel the higher cost of the hydro is justified, big time.
  10. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

Over the life of a mower, the difference in cost between a hydro and a belt is pennies per lawn, or a buck or two a day maybe? And, if you use a belt drive correctly, and pull back on the pivot wheel in order to make zero-turns, you will be dead-beat at the end of each day.