hydro or belt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by challenger55, Apr 23, 2003.

1. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

hey guys I was wondering if i should get a hydro or belt drive. i am 14 and will pretty soon need a bigger mower. i know most of you say get the hydro its worth the extra money but i need a 36in to fits through gates. but would you want to get a hydro that is only a 36in or get the belt drive and when i need it get a hydro thats bigger

what is the time difference between the hydro and belt?
    what would you consider floating or not?

i would appreciate it if you help me out

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

36" Exmark Turf Tracer HP. Hydro is 40% more productive than belt, maintenance isn't as high in most regards, reverse is nice, and hydro's perform better on hills in most situations. I'd get the floating deck over a fixed. Faster changing of heights is a great benefit. I love my TTHP. Go Exmark!

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Only buy what you need to get the job done for now. If you think its worth the money buy it, if not don't..

4. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm 14 and have a eXmark belt drive for sale e-mail me if you decide to go with the belt, it only has 65 hours.
    komokr@bignet.net

5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

If I had my choice I would choose a hydro over a belt every time. Purchase what you can afford at this point in your business. It may make more sense for you to buy the belt now and later add a hydro that's larger.
    I've ran both and prefer the hydros hands down. They're quicker overall and you don't have any belts slipping when wet. As far as floating vs. fixed, it's easier to change cutting heights with the floating deck.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Depends on what your needs are. Down here they can't sell the hydros. They sell the h*ll out of ZTR's though.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Exmark belt. In certain extreme situations (like if you have to cut the whole yard going backwards) the hydro will be 40% more productive but on most yards there is little difference. Maintenance and repairs are actually cheaper on a belt drive. Belt slippage is also a non issue ever since Exmark went with a molded twin belt unless you run the mower through a swamp. Deck heights can be changed on a Exmark Metro 36 in under a minute.

If you look in my signature line you will see that I have a 36 Exmark so I know what I'm talking about.

8. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

DieselDeere- Check your email....

9. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I agree completely. This mower will cost almost half of what a hydro floating deck would cost you. You business is small and I am sure so are your profits. When time comes to get a bigger mower you can get a ZTR and use the 36" as a trim mower. Good Luck.

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydro

If you can afford it. I bought mine for $500 and it's the best purchase I have made. If it's not in your budget right now then go with a belt. But the INSTANT reverse is really nice when backing up in tight places.