hydro or belt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenthumb, Jun 23, 2000.

1. Greenthumb

Greenthumb Guest

Is thier that much diffance with a small mower my 50 is hydro the 36 isnt.<br>

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

My 52&quot; scag is a hydro and my 36&quot; exmark is a belt. I think that it would be better if my 36&quot; was a hydro for a couple of reasons: 1)the belts would not slip in the rain or with a velke 2)because there is not enough deck overlape you usually have to make two passes around the property instead of one becaue there is that little peice of grass it dos't cut everytime <p>that's about it but i think that hydro is the best on all machines. on small machines because of monuverablity (yah i know how to spell to...?!?)and on bigger machines such as 52&quot;-72&quot; because belts just arn't strong enough to move that all the time.

3. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Dual hydro all the way!They cost more but will pay for themselves in no time!I even use my dual hydro scag to plow snow in the winter!Try that with a belt or gear!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

4. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

There is no comparision between the two. A belt drive is slower and the belts slip when its wet. Also they seem to not be able to hold their tracking as good maybe because the belts are always stretching. We have a Ferris 61&quot; walk-behind dual hydro and three 48&quot; belt drive Snappers.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I'm sure if I had a hydro unit I'd agree with the above posts entirely.<p>but I don't. so that gives me room for a differing opinion. as far as the out of pocket investment goes, it's hard to beat a belt drive.<p>I've heard more complaints about gravleys than any other belt. my lesco actually pulls better in the morning humidity with the dew on the grass.<p>comment on plowing snow with the hydro is a good one. we don't plow snow in TENNESSEE therefore it doesn't matter.<p>faster? I'm sure. especially pulling a velkie with my lardass on board. but I dont pull a velkie. no need on small properties and commercials.<p>what'll I buy next time? when I get about $4500 stashed, probably a hydro! WHY...you ask? because, I'm worth it!:)<p>GEO

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

The decision to purchase a hydro or belt depends on how much use the mower will get.<br>If you are buying a walk behind as a front line - everyday mower, but the hydro.<br>If like me, the walk behind is only used in backyards and some hill areas, buy the belt. <br>I use it about 8 hours per week. Looked at 48&quot; Exmark hydro...demoed it, loved it.<br>Hated the price $3800. I ended up buying an older model Keys mower 48&quot; 12.5 kaw fixed deck.<br>It works for me....saved well over two grand.<br>My two cents.

7. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

i agree

8. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

accuratelawn,<p>Very good point. WE use the Ferris as a frontline mower but we also have a grasshopper as our other frontline machine. The snappers are only used in small yards where the big machines will not fit. THerefore I agrre that it would not be prudent to spend the extra money for a machine that is going to sit on the truck a majority of the time.