hydro or belt ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nekos, Jul 30, 2004.

1. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

I'm just starting out , this is my first year in business .
    I'm about to buy my first commercial mower the gravely pro G 36 $2299 < belt > or pro H 36 $3580. < hydro >

right now i only have 8 accounts , all 1/4 acre gated but next summer I'm planing on moving up to 20 - 30 accounts.
    i can't decide what to get . i want the hydro of course but i don't know if it is the right mower for me yet and at almost double that price thats an expensive mistake.
    anyway any opinions or comments about these mowers to help me decide would be appreciated.

thx

:)

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I was confident in my ability.

Hydro drive, full floating deck...

If you can afford it...

3. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro all the way. Even if you can't afford it. I've been mowing for 17 years and if someone told me I had to use belts, I'd start looking for a job.

4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Belts are Garbage...Hydros ar Gold...That's all you Need To Know....

5. if your confident the accounts are gonna be there ..hydro all the way ...possistive reverse ..no slipping belts in wet conditions..and a lot less tired lawn mower after a long day's mowing.

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

hydro baby. i would never have a belt. so glad i got a h/d

7. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i grabbed a used belt two weeks ago and so far no complaints. I only use it on about 10 jobs weekly, and the only bad thing is you have to shift it into reverse manually. I'd say go for the hydro if you can afford it, but belts do just as good of a job...Thats why they are still marketed and still sell.

trevor

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

belt units have their place. they are very popular, actually.

anything somebody can do with a hydro I can do with a belt.

LOL! except back up a hill in reverse. and reverse can be nice I would think!!

GEO :D

9. BmxDirtbag

BmxDirtbag LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Go with the hydro for sure. I'm assuming that you're a solo op, so there isn't going to be other's using your equipment... If you take care of it, the mower will last for a VERY long time. Over that time I think the extra cost is justified for the simple fact of all of the headaches that will be avoided by choosing the hydro over the belt.

Just the other day I was wondering how annoying it would have to be to constantly shift. I picked up a Ferris SD 36 last year and have had no complaints about the hydro's operation.

10. the ONLY reason belt drives have a place ...is because they are cheaper ...if all belt drives and hydros were priced around the same price .. you would see as many belt's drives as you would see ... one legged men with the saint vitus dance hippity hopping on top a dinosaur.