1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hydro or gear driven/exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AutmgRt, Feb 21, 2001.

1. AutmgRt

AutmgRt LawnSite Member

Iam 25 and my buddy and I just getting started in the lawn mowing sevice. I have 1 year and a half till I get my degree in turfgrass management. I've plan on do residental lawns, I planed on using 32" exmark and a 36" exmark with floating deck. and 21". But on the 36" Iam not sure to us hydro or gear. Is it worth the the extra $$$$ to spend. And is this of equitment go to start out with. What sum advice
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If I ever get a W/B, it will be hydro. You do not have to worry about the belts getting wet and slipping and I also read that the hydros are faster and better for a sulky device. With that small size of mowers, why do you need a 21"? We now use two 60" ZTR's and a 21" for small areas.
  3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned both belt and hydro. I traded in the belt on my second hydro.(36" Exmark) I know it's more for the hydro but take it from me, it is well worth it.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

my first mower was a scag 48 inch belt drive. i just bought my first rider, but ive never tried a hydro. i have never had a problem with the belts spinning or not being able to move. maybe the hydros worth it but all i can say is that my mower has worked out great
  5. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I have a 48" metro hp(gear) and a 52 Turf tracer (hydro). If I were you and only buying a 36" I would get a gear drive. The unit is a lot cheaper and I feel that you can manuver the gear drive easier than the hydro. As light as the 36" is I wouldn't waste the money.
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Hydrostatic trannys will allow you to cut in wet or rainy conditions when the belt drives just slip or have to call it a day.

I think a better question is - Can you afford not to have a Hydro when your out of work??

Hope this helps.
  7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

YOu will not regret spending the extra money on a hydro. I have had both belts and hydro's. I will never buy belts again, especially if you plan on using a vekie.
  8. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

we have a 52" ex. with belt drive. mower is fine as long as you don't mow in the wet. BUY HYDRO, i will never buy another belt mower.
  9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" Exmark Metro. Mowed in all conditions, including rainy, wet conditions, never had a belt slip, not even a little bit. Maybe it will someday, but until then I will remain very happy with my belt drive!
  10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my first hydro (36 exmark viking, still have it) 8 years ago. The first day using it said I would never use a belt drive again. The reverse on the gear drives isn't worth the time it takes to shift. I always see guys pulling the mower back anyway. Hydro is almost effortless. Your shoulders will thank you for it. DON"T BE A FOOL!