hydro power loss

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ffemt1271, Sep 21, 2003.

1. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a new( less than 2 months old) lazer z 60'' w/23hp kohler.

i was out making my rounds today, when it started to rain. first yard it ran fine.

when i trailered it ini the rain and unloaded on yards 2,3 and 4 i drove it off the trailer and the hydro's lost all power for about 10 seconds, then picked up and ran fine for the remainder of the yard, then repeated it on the next yard.

is this normal after it gets wet , or is there a problem?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

ffemt1271,

I would suspect the rain. The pump drive belt can slip if it gets wet. It's rare and it is unusual but it is possible.

I'd make sure I'm greasing the pump drive idler once per week for sure. I'd also take the belt to a "no load" condition and grease it once per week. It's a bear to do but a "no load" condition simply means you've removed all tension on the pivot. On most pivots than means removing the belt from the idler pulley. In this case that means unhooking the spring.

To slip the belt off the idler pulley you simply need to stand on the LH side of the mower, lift up the rubber flap under the seat that covers the pump belt. Place a 9/16" wrench on the bolt that holds the idler pulley to the idler arm. Pull the arm toward you. This removes the belt tension so the belt can be slipped from one of the pulleys. At this point you can probably just grease the pivot and work it back and forth with the wrench.

If you want to remove the spring and take all the pressure off the pivot you'll need a piece of rope about 1/8" in diameter with a loop on one end. A busted recoil from your hand held equipment works great. There are a couple of 1/2" holes above the tire but below the tank that lead into the pump drive compartment. Fish the loop through the hole and hook it round the spring eye. Now you have some thing to hang onto that will allow you to stretch the spring and lift it off the spring mount. Now when you grease the pivot you can be reasonably sure you get grease all the way around the pivot.

Thanks

Terry

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i used the mower friday and saturday-no rain -no problems

used it in the rain sunday and the only time it did it was right when i unloaded it, and only for 10 seconds then ran fine for the rest of each yard.

used it again today-no rain -no problems.

i figured it was the rain , but it doesn't hurt to ask, and hopefully it will answer someone elses question later on.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

ffemt1271,

Just be sure to grease the idler throughly. I've never seen this on a full size Lazer so the idler may need a little attention anyway.

Thanks

Terry

5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this happen, its definetly the idler pulley. Tough to grease, but a must!!