Hydro problems, drive motor "slipping"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mark2, Dec 17, 2002.

1. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

I run a Deere z for a customer and it has started making a noise in the left hand drive motor. It seems like it "slips" when you put it under a load. I have changed oil and filter and it still does it. The machine has about 550 hours on it. I first noticed it after grinding up leaves. I ran it in reverse more than usuall.

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the noise, it might be the high pressure by-pass valve in the pump. The valve will by-pass if the pressure gets to high to prevent other damage to system. If it is adjustable, it may have backed off and by-passes at to low of a pressure. We recently had a unit with a high pressure by-pass valve failure and it split the case on a gear drive style pump.

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

This might be nothing but dont all valves have a way of shutting off ? Like when you have to push or pull a hydro mower a release valve...well one time I had to tow the mower out of some mud and when I turned the valve back on I didnt turn the valve all the way and it was acting up it wouldnt go up a hill or track straight.