1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro problems. really loose. Please Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Aug 6, 2005.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok Looking for ideas here on hydros and what I might be missing. I have read the manual and have everything adjusted as it should be. Here is my problem. I am having problems with the mower moving on the trailer. I tie it down but the hydros wont hold the rear in place so I have to strap 4 ties on every time. I am fed up with straping 4 straps on to keep it in place and would like some ideas. This mower is a toro walk behind 36". it is still under waranty but they wont do anything unless it completely goes out. Any ideas to try I am really appreciative.
    I am also having problems with it moving backwards when running on occasion. I have the grips adjusted just so they almost dont go forward and most of the time in neutral it will stay put but occasionally it will move backwards. total flat area.
    Thanks in advance. Im going nuts playing with this thing and maybe it is just to obvious I am overlooking.
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Look into Pro-lockers for securing the mowers.
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the dealer should take care of this. what happens when it runs out of warranty, and it blows, because they wouldn't address it when there were things just starting. A hydro system should not be that loose. it almost sounds like you don't have the nuetral screws tightened all the way down (you turn em by hand until they stop, but do not over tighten). have you noticed that the hydro's are weak? or won't pull hills that well?

I personally think that the hydro's need to be checked, and addressed, BEFORE the warranty is out.

as far as the trailering, get prolockers.
  4. sildoc

I fully agree that they should be checked before they go out, however they wont cover it untill they go out.
    As for hills there are little to no hills that I use this mower on. I have one account with a small hill but only has a 24" gate. As for that it still pulls me well on the proslide.
    I have tightened the hydro screws to just at where they stop. Not overtightened. I am not sure at that point what would cause this. Like I say I am sure the snake is about to bite as it is so obvious that I cant see past the trees. I am just having a fit to get this solved.
    Any more ideas would be appreciated.
  5. sildoc

Been looking at these alot but trying to choke down almost 200 bucks is hard. Not that I cant afford it but I feel that it is a little over priced for the concept and the amount of steel that are used in the product. I first need to find out what my problems are and then I will be more willing to get a product that will secure with out the use of so many straps.
  6. blkberry

blkberry LawnSite Member

We use small pieces of 2x4 to fixed wheel chocks. One in front and back and one on the sides.This combined with a strap or two and you are good to go. For short runs between props, no straps, just the blocks. Oh yeah screw the 2x4 to the trailer deck :rolleyes:
  7. sildoc

while this is great it still does not help me with the rolling of my machine other wise. I find that the 2x4 method will work but it will also make you lazy and not strap mowers down like you should.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Next time get a machine with a brake, just one more reason why Scag should be considered one of the best. And for our Snapper hydro units, without brakes, we get these sandbag that the city leaves all over properties and put them a used fertilize bag and use to behind the wheels. Total cost...nothing!
  9. sildoc

While a brake would be great, they did not make them at that time. Now Toro, Exmark, Scag and others have brakes. Like I posted above the chalking of the wheels is a lazy and dangerous way to secure a mower. Prolockers are on my list but still do not aleviate the loose hydros.
  10. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I use 2x4 that are beveled. Placed so they are tight against the rear wheels on both sides, front and back. My Stander also has a brake and then I use 2" ratchet straps front and back very stable, doesn't move around at all. It's quick to use, you drive up and stop in the same spot each time, set the brake and slip the straps on and ratchet tight, takes all of 30 seconds or less to lock it down. Had the same setup with my Toro hydro without a brake.