Hydro Problems?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jbgreig, May 26, 2007.

1. jbgreig

jbgreig LawnSite Member

I have a 2 year old (just out of warranty) Hustler 52" Super MiniZ with 62 hours. I was mowing a week or so ago and about 30 minutes into mowing the left side became sluggish. Made the awful moaning sound like air in the lines.

Talked to the dealer who was very back logged, and he suggested I change the hydro fluid and filter and bring it in as a last resort, because the change would likely cure the problem and it would be weeks before he could look at it.

So I changed the fluid and worked the levers back and forth as he suggested to get the air out. Seemed better for a minute or so, but would continue to moan on the left side when I changed from forward to reverse. I saw on this site that the proper way to bleed after a hydro change was to jack up the back and run forward and backwards until no bubbles in the reservoir. When I had it jacked up, it would run smooth and never moaned or seemed to hesitate. I ran for 10 minutes or so, switching directions every few minutes.

When back on the ground and running, the left side moans and has little power. If I work back and forth on both sides, in a few seconds the moaning stops and everything is fine. Runs straight and fast. Until I have to stop and change directions, then the same thing happens again. Moaning and it seems like I have to work the air out. Lots of small bubbles in the hydro reservoir.

Is there anything else I can try? This is driving me crazy. I'm guessing that air is getting into the system, rather than it still being in from the hydro change, but I really don't know. How would I find out where it is coming in, if that might be the problem? Are there any places that are more likely than others based on the above symptoms? I just can't wait weeks to get this mower running again. Grass is getting tall!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    Brad

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to get the unit jacked up off the ground in the rear and run the hydros in forward and reverse for a bit.
    You also need to check every fitting on the mower to make sure it is tight.
    And also make sure your hydro filter is tight and the sealing surface was not dirty or the original o-ring is still not on the surface.
    If this still does not take care of it you need to get it into the dealer, they can diagnose it and test the pumps also.

Pj

3. jutoyz

jutoyz LawnSite Member

You want to make sure the bypass valves (fig. 3-7 in owners manual) are both tight.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good point.
    I overlooked it thinking this was already ruled out.
    It is the first thing I do when checking out a hydro system.
    They just barely need to be snug, do not over tighten them.

Pj

5. jbgreig

jbgreig LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I will make sure the bypass valves are snug. It seems that it is not getting any better, though. On pavement, I can run for a bit after bleeding(?) as described below. In the grass, I can barely get it to run straight at all. I will give all the fittings a look and I guess it's to the shop after that. I really do appreciate the advice! Maybe I will get lucky.

I checked the old hydro filter and the o-ring was still on it. I was careful to keep everything clean during the change. The fact that it was happening before the fluid change and also after makes me think it's a bigger problem than I would like. If it is the pump, any idea what a replacement would cost?

I hate to think that a commercial mower would die on me after 60 hours. And they have been pretty easy hours, over 2 years...

Thanks again for any help!

Brae

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You really need to get this unit to your dealer, I am sure they can take care of it.
    E-mail me and I can get someone involved from our regional service center.

Pj