Hydro Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kezell, Mar 19, 2008.

1. kezell

kezell LawnSite Member

I have a Grasshopper 612 44" front mount mower. It has been running fine. Well I decided to change the filters and oil in the hydro transmissions. I bought the filter and used 15w-50 mobil1 and it seems now that they are loosing power once warmed up.

Did I damage them somehow?

Thanks to any advice you can offer.

2. kezell

kezell LawnSite Member

Ok, I may have found the problem.

I talked with a tech at Grasshopper and he beileves that I may have some air in the system. Since its highly unlikely that both transmissions go out at the exact time.

I plan on working on them this afternoon and I will post my results if interested.

Thanks

3. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yea i was just gunan say you got air in it

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe that is not the correct oil for that transmission system. Wrong oil could also be part of your problem.

5. kezell

kezell LawnSite Member

Well problem solved, I had air in the system and had to get it out. Once I did that it worked perfect.

Is there a shop online that I can get the Grasshopper oil? There arent many shops around here. The tech at Grasshopper did ask what kind of oil I was running. I told him the Mobil1 and he said that was fine.

Thanks!

6. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I run Ex-marks and use Mobil 1 but a friend of mine had a grasshopper and he couldnt run Mobile 1 he had to run some really expensive stuff from Grasshopper or it would tear it up??? Cant guarantee any of that but I have never had a problem in any machine I ran Mobile 1 in.

7. Mowingman

from Texas

The 15w-50 Mobil I is fine for the newer style transmissions. However, if yours has the old Gemini trans. system , that is not the correct replacement oil.
    I will try to get by the shop tomorrow, where my notes are, and look up the correct replacement oil for the Gemini trans.

8. kezell

kezell LawnSite Member

Yes, please let me know.

I have a 1991 Grasshopper 612 with the 12.5hp vanguard, and the deck is the 9044.

Thanks

9. Mowingman

from Texas

for the Gemini trans. systems, you should use DTE18M or DTE 26 hydraulic oil. Sometimes you can not find the 18M, so you can use the 26 instead.

10. kezell

kezell LawnSite Member

Would you recommend that I go ahead and drain the 15w-50 and get some of the other fluid?

Thanks