Hydro pump diagnosis needed PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SidelinePropMgr, May 17, 2008.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Hustler Super Z that I am having a problem with the right rear wheel. While cutting, it basically stopped sorking. When trying to move forward, it will give a slight "lurch" and then nothing. No movement backwards what so ever. How do I determine if this is a pump problem or a wheel motor problem? Can't afford to be repairing the wrong mechanism. Can anyone offer a diagnosis system to identify the problem?

2. 0526

0526 LawnSite Member

Sudden stops are usually the motor. Without hooking the pump up to something that works or a flow tester, it's a guess. I'd bet on a broken motor.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a wheel motor. When a wheel motor craps out, you have to change the pump also because the pump sucks up the small metal particales from the wheel motor and ruins it. About $ 1600.00........How many hours on your S/Z?

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

The Poor man's way. Take the belt off the pump(s) and see if you have any side to side play in the pump shaft.If you do, there is a good chance that the pump is bad.
    Same for the wheel motor, take the wheel off and if you have any side to side or end play, it's more then likely that the wheel motor is gone.

If it's the wheel motor and it feeds into the tank and then into the filter before the pump, then you might be able to get away with just the wheel motor.
    But if it is the pump, then you have a good chance of needing to replace the wheel motor as well.
    Either way, you should flush the system and replace the filter.
    Good Luck

ericg likes this.