Hydro Pump Leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TwistedSister, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have a Wright Velke Mower 32" and it has a slight leak in the right hydralic pump. It has been leaking for a few months now but has just started to leak a little more than I would like. It usually would leak about 2 or 3 CC's of fluid a night. (it only leaks after it cools down) but last night it leaked almost half a quart. It is dripping down off the pulley attached to the right pump so I am guessing that the leak is somewhere around the area where the shaft connects to the pump. Is there anything that I could do to fix this. I really dont want to bring it to my dealer because this is my only mower, and I dont want to pay the $$$. I am guessing that it is just a seal that is going bad. Has anybody had experience replacing seals and how hard is it to do? I am currently just keeping an eye on the fluid levels and hope that it doesnt get worse. The pump works fine it just leaks. The machine has 1,100 Hrs. on it. THANKS!
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The seal gets damaged when a worn bearing allows the shaft to wobble around. The fix can be a new bearing and seal unless the shaft is damaged then you are done.
  3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

What I would suggest, is remove the belt, check for side to side play. If you have alot of play, I would just replace the pump. If you have VERY little play, you might beable to replace the seal and bearing and get away with it. Flush the hoses to the wheel motor, change the oil and filter and hope that any metal from the pump has not damaged the wheel motor.
    As to how to replace the seal, well I've never taken a pump apart to see how it works, I just trash them.
    Good Luck
    ericg likes this.