1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro pump or wheel motor?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ProStreetCamaro, Nov 4, 2007.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We have semi retired our old lazer HP. Over the last year i have noticed on one side when the mower is cold it is very jumpy till the mower warms up. Well today my father went out to move the mower and the jumpy side wouldnt hardly move at all and made some nasty graoning sounds. I started the mower back up and let it warm up then it started acting and working fine.

Is that a hydro pump or wheel motor? The machine has 2,200+ hours on it and everything is original.
  2. growabiz

growabiz LawnSite Member

Probably the pump. Check the fluid level in the reservoir--Try openining the dump valve on the pump itself--it is opened with a 5/8" wrench only 1 turn-put the seat down and sit on the mower--start it and move that stick back and forward 2-3 times. Shut off the mower and tighten the dump valve. It may only have air bubble in the line. If the groaning continues the pump is bad.
  3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

our walker mower did the same thing, turned out to be the gear drive axle 880.00 for the part delivered. about 6 hours to take out and install.
  4. LupineLandscaping

LupineLandscaping LawnSite Member

Really? It wasn't the pump on your walker? What does the gear drive axle look like? I have a bad grumbling going on for about a minute during cold starts on my Walker MDGGHS.
  5. bobcat52

bobcat52 LawnSite Member

its either the carborata, regulata, radiata, or alternata
  6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, consult local hydraulic shop and either performance check pump in machine or on the bench and if it passes etc the wheel motor is at fault etc

Jack the ztr drive wheels and change hrdraulic fluid ,new filter also .
    Refill the system and start operating drive wheels [this is to help purge air from the system WITHOUT load ]After some time maybe 1/2 hr ""road test " and reasses . Check again next morning

7. ACA L&L

The hydro motor(s) sit on top of ht egear drive assembly, they connect to the tires. inside is a shaft that connects to a series of sprockets. The shaft was wobbled down to less than half. waklker does not sell the rebuild kit for this anymore, you have to buy the whole assembly. i could not beleive the price of this thing.
  8. ACA L&L

Ill post some pics after we get it back in actoin. u wont beleive this thing was still running, i still cant.