Hydro pump problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by P.I.L.C., Apr 3, 2008.

1. P.I.L.C.

P.I.L.C. LawnSite Member

I had both my hydro pumps rebuilt this winter. I put them on, replaced all the oil, and they are worse now than before I had them rebuilt. Has anyone ever replaced a pump? Wondering if I need to bleed the line somehow to get everything full of oil again. Any ideas?
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure ya get the pumps filled to the correct level indicated , remember when ya start the machine the pump sends the fluid to the wheel motors an if it is deprived of hydro fluid it will not work well. Once you check an add make sure your oil is at the rite level open the hydro release valves an close them a few times as you run the mower an this will release the air from the lines, hope this helps George
  3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

If it is an eXmark it may help to loosen the hyd. filter slowly while it is running to bleed some air out. I did that and jacked it up and let it run fwd and reverse for what seemed like forever before all the air came out.
  4. P.I.L.C.

P.I.L.C. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. I have been working on it for the last hour or so and it is starting to come back to life. It is an exmark also, and you were right, it does take forever. Thanks again for the help.
  5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydros can sometime be a pain in the behind but when they are running well they are hard to beat!!
  6. tbnlc

tbnlc LawnSite Member
    from hays ks

you need to lift the drive tires up into the air and then open the free wheeling valve on the pump and then stroke the pump f/r several times hold in f position for a 30 sec and then r posion for 30 sec do this sevreal time then close free wheeling valve then you should be ready to go but if you did no do this procedure first you would of smered your swash plate and ruined you pump