hydro pump question??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CAG, Mar 6, 2008.

1. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i have a turf tiger with a 25hp kholer on it.. i bought it with a 1000 hrs on it and at that time i question the pumps. but the price was right and i thought i would get some time decent time out of the before replacing.. well one went and blew the pump apart i replaced it, then maybe a month later the other side blew and locked up so i replaced that one.. just the other day i took the machine out to get it ready and i noticed the side i replaced shaking lot and then driving it with the handles all the way forward the handle is kicking back and forth.. i change the hydro filter and fluid again and it still kicking back and the control just seem rough compared to my other ztr.. not sure if this started at the end of last season because i had to fire the guy running it..i did notice a little build up around hoses that i will tighten up tomorrow. i cleaned the lines on both repairs, change fluid and filter each time so i have no idea what going on.. sorry for the long post.. just want to get as much history to help with suggestions for possible fixes. thanks chris
  2. David Thompson

David Thompson LawnSite Member

After running the machine for a few minutes if the fluid looks churned or foamy like with little bubbles you may have air trapped in the system. It is fairly common after having pump or wheel motor work done. To bleed the air off of the system you can put the machine on jack stands or blocks to allow the rear wheels to spin. start the machine and run it while moving the control arms slowly forward then to the rear 10 or 12 times.
    I have had to repeat this several times to clear air from a system.
  3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

When you say "blew apart" did you mean you had metal chips in the fluid?

If you did, then you needed to replace the wheel motor also.
    Now, of course, it's too late.
  4. CAG

from ct

i have not ran it on jack stands yet but i have ran the machine a while on pavement..

the wheel motors are def a concern now, now that you bring it to my attention.. i dropped and cleaned the lines going to it, but did not clean the motors out. when the first one " blew apart " i did not see any thing in the fluid.. it pretty much blew the side right out of the pump.. the second pump froze up and their was def metal in the system..
  5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

You might still have air in the system, But before I would throw money at the problem I would check your motion dampers, they look like little shocks that are connected between the handles and the pumps. If you are having a problem on just the one side, swap the dampers to see if the problem follows. If it does, then just replace the bad damper.
    Hope that helps...
    ericg likes this.
  6. CAG

from ct

thanks for everyones suggestions.. i figured i would post on how i made out in case any does a search.. i adjusted the pulleys on the pumps one was kicked out a little, not sure if i didnt line it up straight or it shifted out after i put it on.. i also threw a new pump belt on and it seems to back to normal for now.. thanks again for everybody imput and help..