1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro Pump Replacement Procedure

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Mar 6, 2008.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Hydro Gear pump fail on a Scag Cub. It had a noisy bearing and I caught it before any fatal failure occurred. I am concerned about cleaning up before I put in a new pump. I took the oil reservoir off and washed it out. I am replacing the return lines to/from the failed pump. I will put on a new filter. I am concerned about how to try to flush the wheel motor on the side that failed?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I remove the lines from the motor then jack the rear off the ground, I put a cone type cap from a bottle of 90w gear lube on a quart of oil. With a drain pan under the motor rotate the tire by hand while adding the oil in one of the ports until it flows clean.

Haven't had any premature failures flushing this way.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks........it was some dirty oil coming out of that drive motor. Now I think I will take the hoes off the other one and flow oil thru it.
  4. Jay19LM

Jay19LM LawnSite Member
    from Mo

If everything else inside is ok, Why not replace the bearing.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well I have had mixed results with doing that on Scag WB wheel motors. Most of the time the shaft riding on that bearing will wear a little bit and then it wouldn't seal up properly for long run. Granted I have had limited experience with this ....actually none on pumps. What is your experience.