Hydro Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JCee, Mar 22, 2006.

1. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am looking at a used hydro and currently run belts. With a hydro there is no neutral from what I have seen...My trick for my current WB belt is this

On a 180 degree turn, I go into the turn and use the brake to go the way I want to go. I turn it about 150 degrees and then pull the grips to the neutral position, pull the mower back and then release and go. This way there is no turf mark, and it is really fast.

How would you do this with a hydro. Or do you have to use the machine for the total turn. Seems like it would be slower and alot easier to scuff the turf. Thanks
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I put the inside tire (left turn = left tire; right turn = right tire) in reverse at about the same point when you put yours in neutral and pull it back. It is by far faster and once you get experience with it you won't be as apt to tear up turf.
  3. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean "there is no neutral"! What type of hydro are you looking at? Click on the Hustler banner at the top of the page and check out the Trim Star. Good luck!!
  4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

On my Hydro Deere walkbehind, the neutral position is somewhere in between the forward and reverse. It took me a little bit to master. Once I did there was no stopping me! lol I have used both and I strongly recogmend the hydro.
  5. jtkplc

I was thinking, other than price, what is the advantage to belt driven?
  6. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with a hydro exmark and then helped out a Friend that had a scag 48 belt drive,and it is night and day difference between the two. Put it like this if a scag belt drive was it and hydro wasn't out yet, I wouldn't be in this business lol:laugh: Neutral is between forward and reverse, at least on all of the hydros that I have used.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think the belt drives are a little safer because they have less drive torque in both directions. The hydro can do some damage if it get away from you.. And the cost of replacing the pumps and drive motor are very high compared to repairing belt clutch. But I won't run without hydro unless you can afford them.
  8. jtkplc

True, true...didn't think of those reasons, but that's why I asked.
  9. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

There is a page on exmark.com that explains how to stripe, it shows a diagram better than i could ever explain, and its the fastest way. Its on there, just look hard.
  10. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks fellas,

The only hydro that I have driven was the 48 inch Lesco Hydro Float deck. I dont know much, but thanks to this site, I know alot more. It seems like the guy at my lesco place didnt know too much about his products and told me it had no reverse. I was a little tenative driving it so I didnt go crazy. Thanks