Hydro question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Picture Perfect Landscape, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

Recently had a small accident. The top half of my walkbehind got bent bending the linkage to the hydros; keeping one full speed forward and the other full speed backward. I started it and they made a funny noise but then went away.

Could having the hydros fully engaged even though there is no fluid movement damage them at all? I am in the process of doing an insurance claim and want to replace as much as possible if there is an inkling of it needing done.

2. Picture Perfect Landscape

to the top

3. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

if they were really engaged, it would have moved the machine while you were starting it, and it would have started really really hard. the only way it wouldnt move it while starting would have been if the vents were opened. tell me more about the noise and maybe i can help more.

josh

4. Picture Perfect Landscape

the first time I started it, it did move. but everything was so jammed up on the trailer one wheel was spinning and the other was trying. After pushing on the levers I was able to find the neutral position (which was WAAAAAY off from where it was supposed to be)

The noise sounded like a clutter almost like gears rubbing or something. But yes it did give me some trouble starting the first time, as I didn't realized they were engaged til after I started it

5. joshco84

have you tried to start it again and tried to move it? sometimes if you really load them up like that they will make funny noises from the pressure that is caused. try starting it in neutral and see if it moves regular without noise. i really cant picture how they would have been hurt.

6. Picture Perfect Landscape

the noise is gone... BUT i still can't move the mower because the linkages are bent. I really don't care if they aren't damaged I was more so concerned with if it could have caused any unneeded stress to them. My insurance is dickin me over trying to say they won't cover part of the damage, so I am going to get all I can from them on another part. So if there is any chance that it stressed them to where you could "consider" their life span shortened even if there are no current problems I will add it to the list of parts to be replaced

7. joshco84

honestly i wouldnt think so. it probably just made the loud groaning noise from really overloading the engine at a lower rpm would be my guess. you might try to get it from them, but if you dont, i wouldnt be worried about it.

josh