Hydro question???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4curbappeal, May 2, 2008.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Hustler Hydro Walk Behind that the recoil start broke on today. I had to push it about 50 ft. to get it into the garage. I have heard that this is very hard on the hydro's, but I had to get it moved. I have a smaller Hustler WB that has a tow mode, but couldn't find anything like that on the one I had to push. It felt like I was pushing a school bus! Can anyone tell me if I could have done some damage to the hydro's or should it be OK? Thanks everyone!

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is hard on the Hydro to move the mower without opening the relief valve. I'm not certain about your mower but my ZTR and most commercial units have a relief valve on each Hydro . If yours has one back it out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn before trying to push or pull the mower.

Nosmo

3. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

It should be ok but i would release the valves next time for sure and from now on, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do..

4. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the responses! I should get more familiar with my mowers. It started raining and I needed to get it moved!

5. totallawncare25

from TN

pushing a hydro mower without releasing the pressures isnt easy almost worth taking the time to release them before killing yourself

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Even with the dump valves open you should never tow them, only push by hand or tow no faster than you can push youself. It can cause damage to the system.

7. totallawncare25

from TN

agree with Jaybird