hydro question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 19, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: what exactly is a hydro wb? does it not have any belts at all? exuse my ignorance, but the answer to every question latley seems to be....... "get a hydro". is it far superior to a belt drive, or under normal dry, normal height grass, you won't know the difference?:confused:

2. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Yes, far superior IMO ... big time savings. Much more efficient.

3. yes it does have a belt ...drives the hydro pumps ....my opinuion hydro are far superior then walks....positive reserve ...more prodution ...no slipping belts ..and at the end of a long day ...the grasscutter is one less tired dude

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

belts still drive the blades and perhaps the hydro pumps.

BUT...belts don't drive the wheels that pull the machine.

they are driven by fluid hydro motors.

now fga...I have a question for you. should I buy an electric or a gas string trimmer? thanks.

GEO

5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i baught a H/D and couldnt even imagine useing a gear. all that reverse would kill me.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, hydro still drives the pumps and deck, but not the wheels.

It will be one of the best investments that you will ever make. You will save a lot of time and the maintenance with a hydro unit I feel is cut in half

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

tiedman--dude...don't you mean the: "belts still drives the pumps and deck, but not the wheels"?

GEO :confused:

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

MY BAD!!!:eek:

9. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The only good thing about belt driven pro walk mowers is their price ! After that, all the advantage is to the HYDRO drive units.

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Geo,
    you making fun of me dude? i asked a ligitimate question. i'm buying my first "functional" wb, used belt drive, and I'm excited about it, jeez. ..................... go with the electric, black and decker makes a mean cordless.