Hydro Seed Failed twice...what next?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NelsonLandworks, Apr 29, 2005.

1. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

Well a client of ours spent 16,000 on getting thier new lawn hydroseeded. They called someone in the first time, it was done right but it rained and washed everything away.

The second time it didn't rain, but the only thing that came up was pure crab grass.

They hired us to mow it for the time being, but now they want to work on a cure.

They don't want to hydroseed again, they want to seed it and lay straw on top.

Let me know what exactly needs to be done, I've never done something to this effect, so any help would be great.

ps-we're talking about 2+ acres of crab grass.

Thanks again,
    Wes

2. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

well who ever did the hydro seeding the second time must have cut corners. all crabgrass?!!!? If you plan on seeding not using the hydroseeder i would say no to the straw! i have used straw in the past.....waist of time....money....and over rated. It tends to rot if it's wet. then when you have to rake it up....it just pulls the grass out. plus you are very likley to have weeds grow in the seeded area. straw is just ful of weed seed. not worth it to me. Just keep it watered on a daily bases and you should be fine. I only time i use straw is if its on a hill or an area that tends to washout. even then...the errosion control blankets are the way to go. when seeded...def. use started fertilizer....lesco's brand i think does the best in my area. just my thoughts.

3. NelsonLandworks

thanks for your ideas.

but what should we do about the crab grass thats there? Should we spread corn gluten (sp) on it and hope it all dies out?

I'm just glad it's not my lawn, thats for sure

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a method that has reaped great rewards for me:

1. Take a soil test
    2. kill off all vegetation with a non selective herbicide (Round-up)
    3. Till the entire area and rake smooth (add any amendments, if necessary).
    4. Apply high quality seed and LIGHTLY rake it in to insure good seed to soil contact.
    5. Apply hydromulch with tackifier, if necessary, over the top of the seed (with correct starter fert).
    6. Keep seed moist. This may require several light sprinklings throughout the day.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds to me like the size of your project may be your limiting factor. Nothing is going to be cheap with 2+Acres to fix. Crabgrass is already up, so anything you do with new seed is going to create new opportunities for crabgrass. I would suggest a no til aproach for the time being. What kind of grass are we wanting? If K31 is an option, spray roundup and then use a good slicing seeder at half rate in three directions (yes, that's 150% of recommended). Get a good stand of whatever grows now til Fall. Concentrate on broadleaf weed control late in the summer and then overseed heavy again in the fall. Pick up with regular weed control and fert apps next year. Overseed again next fall and you should have the best lawn in the neighborhood.

6. NelsonLandworks

Thanks guys, these ideas are great. But your right about the size, spraying it all with round up would take days. I should just call in a plane and have them drop agent orange all over the lawn.

We're talking to a lot of people to get thier oppinions so when we go back to the home owner we have a lot of ideas to bring to the table.

More thoughts/ideas are welcome! Thanks again
    Wes

7. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco has a product called Drive and its a post-emergent for crabgrass. Then in two weeks aerate it alot and then seed and starter fert. but first pull a soil sample. See what it looks like and go from there!

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I could have 2+ acres of crabgrass sprayed with R-up in less than 2 hours (and that is going slow) with a 300 gal tank and a Chemlawn gun. Contract the spraying out if you don't have the equipment. If you have enough garden hose you could still spray the crab with R-up and a hose end sprayer.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

If you use straw, you will introduce more weeds into the lawn too....

10. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

$16k for 2 acres of hydro seeding- they made some nice money off of that job- I can get it subbed out for $4,500

To your problem- slice seed 2 times- check the soil test as well, Joel