1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hydro seed spots???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Feb 17, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

On some lawns, there are small sections of just dirt. Would it be worth it to hand aerate and spray seed over these spots? Or would they continually need daily watering to actually grow? Just looking for a few ways to make the lawns look nice while I dont have an applicators license for fert.
  2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

well you need water to germinate grass seed, doesnt matter how it is applied. Also hydroseeding over the existing grass would kill it due to the fiber mulch coating the existing grass. If it a large patch ok if its small id aerate and overseed.
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

if its just bare spots in an other wise decent lawn just overseed the bare spots and water.
  4. Yerkz

Yerkz LawnSite Member

If it is a small section then just loosen the soil and drop down some seeds and water. Best results if done during the right time of the year.
  5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im mainly talking about small spots of bare dirt where the grass has been walked on alot, or trees that werent trimmed which cause the grass underneath to not get proper sunlight and die.
    I would hand aerate it and either overseed or hydroseed. My main question is the watering. Once a week service visit, how can you assure that it gets proper water?