Hydro Seeder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by szwedj, Jul 15, 2008.

1. szwedj

szwedj LawnSite Member

I am currently working on getting a hydro seeder running that has sat for a long time. There are two 1-1/2" bronze pipe swivel fittings for the gun on top that are leaking pretty bad under pressure. I haven't tried taking them off or apart yet. Does anyone know if they are repairable or how they come apart? I saw a listing in a McMaster-Carr catalog for a similar type joint and it mentioned bearings and an O-ring. Thought I would see if anyone was familiar with them before I started in on them.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. ofiguy

ofiguy LawnSite Member
    from Oley PA

Are you under pressure with just clean water in the tank? Mine also does that but run a load of mulch thru it and it usually stops leaking.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Yes they are rebuildable. Several different styles, but it should have a snapring holding the two halves together. If the bearing is severly worn and has allowed the two halves to rub together, it might be beyond help. A good new one is around $300, but you can get much cheaper ones, they just wont last as long. Which brand of seeder are you working on?

4. szwedj

szwedj LawnSite Member

I believe it is an older Reinco, I have to see if I can read the tag on it. Yes I was only running clean water through it when I noticed the leaks. The owner wants to use it primarily to water nursery stock and may use the gun. This unit has been stored in a barn, unused for many years and they asked me to get it running for them again. I have no idea how many hours are on it. It seems to run pretty good, had a few other leaks that I think I have taken care of. I'll try and get back to before the weekend and try to get them apart.

Thanks.