Hydro seeding costs

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jingles, Mar 26, 2006.

1. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

Hello, I posted some last fall about the bad condition of my lawn. Well its mostly dead now. I had a guy come out today to give me an estimate. The area is 6000 sq ft. The dirt will have to be cleaned up as well, as weeds are growing. I guess they will have to scrape the top off. Any idea what this should run. I am in suburban Philly. Thanks for any help

2. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Do you get any sun in this area? No sunshine = no grass!

I did a search under your name to find the previous post you mentioned, but it cam back saying this is your one and only post?

It sounds as though you might have some soil amending to do! I'll let the pro's speak to the correct way for you to approach this. If there's no other replies to this today, I'm sure someone more qualified will chime-in in a day or two. I don't notice them "down here" too much on Sundays.

3. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

Yeah, I posted under a different name, but I forgot the name and password, so I re registered. Anyway, the landscaper said he thought it was due to disease. It was Kentucky blue grass sod. It lasted about 15 years, but was a pain in the ass, as blue grass can be. He is going to use hydroseed mix, some bluegrass, and other seed. The lawn faces south, so it gets lots of sun, maybe too much in the hot summers. He got back to me with the price and quoted me 1600 bucks. (6000sqft) Thats to strip the old stuff away, apply weed killer, than hydroseed, and apply something else for weeds again. It sounds a little high to me, but in the ball park. Wonder what the pros here think of that price?

4. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Hydroseed is expensive but so is the eqpt. we do it a completely differnt way and its less than 1/2 the price, comes out twice as good in my opinion. i have a photo on here somewhere march 13th thread called "rennovation how's it look?"
    we would aerate the area 4 times , seed with 45 lbs custom mixed seed (we mix our own seed then, apply a atarter fertilizer, and roll the lawn. that runs about $450 for 6,000 sq feet and comes out in our opinion much better than hydroseeding, I would try and topdress the lawn also with organic compost that would run an xtra 350-400. we wouls also take soil tests to check ph as well as phos nitrogen

5. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. The lawn is just about totally dead, so the top has to be stripped off. He tried to persuade me to do slit seeding, but I didn't want the hassle of birds eating the seed, or weed growth. He offered to do sod for a bout 50 cents a square ft, which included prep work. So that would run around 3000 bucks. I was in no mood to have bluegrass again. He told me if the hydroseed didn't take, he would redo it. I have used him for landscaping several times over the past 20 years, while his prices have always seemed on the high side of the range, he always showed up, and always replaced items that didn't take. For me, that is important, reliability. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't really paying more than the general range for the work and my area. I will try to find your pictures.

6. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Yes that is the rennovation the way we do it. keep in mind whether slitseeding, doing it our way or hydroseeding , we reccomend our customers get overseeded anually until they reach the desired thickness. you are nearly in the same temperate zone as we are so good prennial ryes, and fescues should do very well, arwe drought tolerant and abuse tolerant . do well wioth dogs, kids compaction more so than the blues. Please make sure the proper seed is used for particular climate sun and sahde, as this will be the make or break point on the final out come and longevity of the lawn. they can mix any blend you need for your conditions.

8. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.