Hydro-seeding help.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by horizonmowing, Sep 14, 2006.

1. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

I got a call today and I guy wants me to hydro seed about 7 acres. I dont have the equipment, but it can be rented for $220.00 per day. How long will it take, where do I get the mix, what do I charge? Or am I getting in over my head on this one? Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I know the answer to them all.....and to the most important one of all......and would nearly always help out with those answers......but seeing as how I am a retired Cop and you hate cops and stated so in your thread you started on "I hate Cops" I'm sure you'd never want advise from a scumbag like a cop.....so.........you figure it out kid. ;)

Also ask the company if they rent directly to high school KIDS under 18.......you won't like that answer either....
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

BOOM!:dizzy: :dizzy:
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I like your answer Mike!
  5. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Well lets see to do the job you will need around 10,000 in materials, hydromulch 1200-2000lbs per acre plus fert plus seed, plus lime, then you will need a water supply such as a pond and if there is not one there you will need a water meter from the county, I would figure on 2 days for the machine because by the price you are saying for the rental, it is from sunbelt and should be a 500 gallon machine. I would say pass it on to someone who has done larger jobs before.
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

On one like this, if somebody can't figure it out themselves, they can't be ready.

The specs are available for the equipment.

Anybody qualified, will be able to calculate the needed seed and product totals.

It doesn't sound like you are ready for this level of professional hydroseeding yet.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love your answer also, i happen to own a hydo-seeder and would pay admission to watch this kid pull this off.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Sub it out.
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i can assure you a 7 acre job will bring all the largest hydroseeders in your area to bid on the job...
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I dont totally agree with everything said here, but do agree that if you have never hydroseeded before you will be getting in way over your head. The answers are not as simple as some would have you believe. When you talk about renting a machine, what kind are you renting, jet, mechanical? It stands to reason if the rental company rents the machine, they also should have the materials. I doubt that you can do the job in two days with a 500 gal rental machine. The math just dont work out right.
    My suggestion if you want to get into hydroseeding is start with a few small lawns until you get a feel for what you are doing. The money isnt as great as it sounds and a 7 acre job will probably go for a fraction of what a few adverge size lawns will. I regulary pass on large jobs simply because I can make more money with less work and materials on smaller jobs.