hydro seeding pasture land

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muddstopper, Jan 3, 2003.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have been asked to hydrosee approx. 50 acres of pasture land spraying only water, seed and dye. I havent seeded like this before so I am needing to know what kind of coverage per 100gal of water so I can determine how much seed to add per tank. The seed rate per acre is only 25 lbs so it will be like just spraying water. I am also wondering if I can expect problems with the seed floating in the water and not spraying evenly, and if so, is there something I can add to the mixture to help keep this from happening. I will be using 2 machines on this job, one mechanical and one jet agitated. Will I have more problems with one type verses the other, and what type of problems can I expect. It normally takes 3 tank loads per acre in my big machine using mulch and 6 tanks per acre with my little machine with mulch, I am wanting to spray an acre per tank with the big machine and need to know if this is possible and get even coverage. The little machine will just be used in the hard to reach places where the ground is to uneven to place a big truck on. I am thinking about just filling my truck up with water and dye and spraying just to see how far 1 tank will spray,but the weather man is calling for snow and ice tomorrow and I might not be able to get the truck to a water source.
    Any advise will be appreciated
    muddstopper

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do u get ur water from?

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe that you CANNOT use endophyte enhanced seed for any feeding animals. Check w/ your local coop extension service.

Bob

4. muddstopper

I get my water from ponds and creeks, dont have many hydrants around here.
    Max Q fescue is marketed especally for cattle and is now one of the most recommended types for pasture and hay. It is not Endophyte enhanced. Also 25 lbs is the recommended rate per acre for this type of seed on new seedings
    For more information on Max Q here is a link.
    http://www.fescue.com/info/maxq.html

5. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Curious as to why they want it hydro seeded instead of using a drill or some other type of seeder that you pull with a tractor. I haven't used a hydro seeder but thought that you needed the mulch to keep the seed dispersed throughout the mix.

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to get that job right now, good luck with it.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

With water, seed, and dye only, I really don't see why the need to hydroseed it. Seems like the cost are very high without the benefit of the mulch. Seems like a big spreader behind a tractor would be just as well without all the cost and work involved. Once you get the seed out with spreader or hydroseeder, its up to the weather at that point anyway. If there was mulch that would be different, without it, the seed will be dry soon after its put down and its up to the weather to grow it then.

8. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

First of all lookin at your profile where in the he$$ is the transtion zone. This would help me in giving you an answer to your question. But seeing that I can find this on any map here goes...

No WAY would I think that hydro seeding any seed onto exsisting ground cover will work half as good as drilling the seed seed INTO the ground.

I have a AG background and see farmer throw seed on top of pastures every spring. Then they come back and get a drill to do the same thing again...

Whoever asked you to do this has WAY more $$$ the any common sense. As a lawn care professional I would try to talk them into drilling the seed in.

FYI
    Endophyte Fescue need to been established into none fescue pastures... Number one reason is that when the fescue that are present in the pasture go to seed they will infect the endophyte free fescue....

I wish you the very best.... But for the best results DRILL the seed

9. muddstopper

Casey, 65hoss, greenngrow,
    You all make valid points about using the seed drill, and the property owners own one. The points about the endophyte fescues infecting the other fescues is correct too. This is just cleared ground that had timber on it and no grass so there is no grass of anykind there, nor has there been in the past. Now the part about these people having more money than sense might just be true also, but they are going to be reseeding about 3000 acre total in the next couple of years and are trying different types of seeding to study the the most cost effective way considering all factors including labor, germination rates ect. they are seeding several other spots also using different methods including the drill.
    The question was, what kind of coverage can I expect per 100 gal of water just spraying seed and water with no mulch? And does anybody think that I will be able to acheive even coverage just using 25lbs of seed per acre or will the see clump up in the seedr and come out in clumps resulting in a lot of thin spots?

10. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

I would think that you would end up with thin spots no matter how even the initial coverage is. You are not going to have the mulch to seed contact or soil to seed contact as you would get with a drill to help in germination before the wind starts moving the seed around. If you have to put some type of guarantee on your work I would really have second thoughts about the plan. If that type of seeding would work as needed you would think the most economical way to seed such a large area would be to find someone to seed it with an airplane.