Hydro Seeding Pricing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Krafty, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Any of you guys have any experience with hydro seed or hydro mulching. Had a 17 acre clearing, grading, and seeding project come across late today that has to be in first thing in the morning. Just trying to get an idea if subing out some hydro mulching would be any cheaper then conventional seed and straw. All we have every done is the old fashion way. Just a last minute thought and figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any experience.

2. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Figure out sq foot cost from your sub around here for hydro seed it is arounf $0.12 a sq foot I would think for that much area if you can get a truck in to spray would be faster and more economical to spray rather than seed and blow down straw or hay also that would be a lot of bails to bring in.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

.12 cents that only covers the Hydro seeding and labor You still will have work the ground to get it ready for hydro seed

Faster and cheaper just do seed /straw
    Hydro seeding is a cheaper then Sodding

The biggest Hydro Seeding job I have done is 5 acres My pull type Finn does 5,000sqft per tank from fill up and apply takes about 1.5 hrs per tank
    My Finn Straw blower will blow 125 sq. bales per hour that's at rate of 87 bales per acre

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

For a job that size I would imagine you could get someone at ten cents per ft. Hope that helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Yes obviously we would still have the prep work but that is all work that we are capable of handeling, was just looking for opinions on hydroseeding vs conventional. That is what I was looking for .10-.12 a sqft. Conventional seeding would be way cheaper even at .10 a square.

6. CLP

CLP LawnSite Member
    from Maine

For 17 acres I would get a farmer to seed it, it would be like doing a hay field. The seeder just rolls it in the ground, no need to mulch it. But I don't know what it looks like or what there doing with it after.

7. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You should be able to get something that large done for $.06-.08/sf if water is readily available.

I did a 40 acre job once for .06 with a 300 gal Finn and made good money despite prevailing wages.

8. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Holy h** Did you get tired of filling that thing! Thats 600 fills!! We have a kinkaid 300gal and do 3000sgft/ tank, wow!!

we get .18/sq to hydro seed up to 5 acres, our machine is too small to do any more

we do 3 acre+ at .05/sq but we have a round bale processor that goes behind a tractor that speeds up the process

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes be no way I would do 40 acres with my 600gal Finn.

Yes round bale blower is nice but in open areas only.
    I use mine in all are lawns. We made a adaptor to put on 50ft hose put on the discharge chute.