Hydro Seeding Q

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnut101, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm about to do my first lawn. My question is, how long should it stay dry ( I mean, not rain) after the application. I was thinking 5 days seemed about right.

2. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think most everyone doing something new worries about everything there is to worry about.

I guess I could answer your question better with a better definition of "Rain" Yes, I know that is drops of water that fall from the sky. I guess my point is that a light or even medium rain won't hurt anything very much. I got rained out on my job yesterday in the afternoon and went back today to finish hydroseeding and everything was fine. I would call yesterdays rain a shower. It was hard at times but no one would confuse it with a monsoon. Usually if the mulch gets a chance to dry which may take 4 hours or a day depending on the wind and sun then it will hold through some pretty severe stuff. If you get a cloud burst right after you seed you will probably loose it, particularly if you are on a slope. I would just avoid seeding if really heavy rains are due in within 24 hours and even then it may hold better with the hydro seeding than without and you may avoid re-doing the prep work.

Another thing is I use tackifer on ever load, even if it is level and no heavy rains are in the forcast. It is very cheap insurance.

3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the help. My job got put on hold, so now I'm going to wait until next week, which was going to be my plan anyway. I'm also going to use tackifier, because you can never be too safe. I really appreciate the help. Wish me luck on my first job!:waving: