Hydro seeding versus seed & straw

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ALVW, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ALVW

ALVW LawnSite Member

Had a local landscape company quote me on a lawn install using the subject line methods. The area needs to be rockhounded first. Area is approx. 1/4 - 1/3 of an acre. He quoted Hydro at $3200 and seed + straw at $5300 including the rockhounding. I had thought hydro would be more????? Any thoughts? BTW, it's dry as a bone up here in the Northest so Im looking to do this either mid to late September or wait till next spring when we get some moisture in the soil.

Thanks

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Too much weed seed in straw. Go with hydroseeding.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Much better germination rates with hydroseed as well...and less mess to rake away.

4. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Maybe he wants you to go with hydroseeding and quotes the straw high so he doesn't have to explain the difference to you.

You can hide a lot more imperfections with straw, with hydromulch imperfections are magnified. Weeds will be an issue regardless of the method, more so with straw, however. If you don't water, either way is a dead end.

I think he gave you a more than fair price for hydroseeding. Sit on our side of the fence for a moment. We spend countless hours per year trying to explain the value of a dollar vs. low bid. It isn't like we are selling used cars. Generally, the overwhelming majority of us do this because we enjoy it, more than anything else. My bet is he got tired of explaining and said here is the price. It gets old.

As for the time frame, have it started next week. Get it in ASAP. Your results will be so much better than you could imagine. Trust your contractor. He wants your business and it is his name on the line.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you are going to get it sprayed now, be prepared for some weeds. It's almost inevitable during this time of the year, especially in the dry conditions in the NE lately. Some HS contractors will use additives to control crabgrass and weeds in their slurry, some don't. It also depends on the blend of seed being used as well. A fescue blend will germinate much faster than a Bluegrass, thus keeping the competing weeds at bay. Just be prepared to water faithfully. Get all the proper hoses, sprinklers, Y connections, etc., before they come to do your lawn. If the air temps get over 85-90, and the relative humidity is over 60%, be careful about keeping the mulch too wet. It's perfect time for Pythium Blight when the conditions are there. Pythium Blight can destroy a newly seeded lawn in no time. A general rule of thumb is if the air temp and relative humidity exceed a combined number of 150 or more, go with lighter, more frequent waterings, letting the mulch dry some between waterings. Have faith in your Hydroseed contractor. Most guys would not spray now if they didn't think they could give you a good lawn. We all hate callbacks, and do our best to give each client a great lawn. If you follow his watering and aftercare instructions, I'm sure you'll both be happy. Make sure to get on a regular turfcare program within a couple of months after seeding. Good luck.

6. StealthDT

StealthDT LawnSite Member

Ask him if he's running starter fertilizer & lime thru that hydroseeder. I think he got the prices reversed. I always charged more for hydroseeding since the repair bills were so high vs. a broadcast spreader. If there's any slope to the lot, that hydroseed will wash away on a strong storm, even if he adds a tackifier. Why not do it yourself?

7. ALVW

ALVW LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for the input. The quotes in the original posting were verbal for the contractor. The written quote received a few days later was quite different and much more in line with what I expected.

Going to go with the hydro.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Hydro package probably came in around or under $ 2500.00, huh?

9. ALVW

ALVW LawnSite Member

LOL. Very good guess. $2750