1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro seeding worth it?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by blafleur, Jun 2, 2003.

1. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I know area demand and competetion come into play. But I have what appears to be a good deal on a hydroseeder from someone getting rid that part of his business and was wondering if this is a good business to get into. I always take into consideration that there may be a reason that person is selling it as opposed to something else.

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Depends on the area and the competition as you said. Where I live hydroseeding is big, since there are a lot of new developments going up everywhere and cheaper than sod.

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

In my area hydroseeding is highly promoted, but very rarely is successful. I even know a sod farm owner who agrees that hydroseeding is a joke, but he still bought a machine because he said the demand was there. He admits that the homeowner will be re-seeding the entire area a couple of months after being hydroseeded. I re-seed numerous yards every year that were originally hydroseeded.

4. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, I have always had skepticism of the process, but I don't know much about it. I wont get into it if I cant feel it is a good product, business or not. Hard to top sod for a making a happy customer.

Bryan

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

So find out what combination of products will be successful for your area and use those, don't cheapout on seed and mulch. I've had great results and nice stands of grass. I like hydroseeding and highly promote it. And no one else reseeds my lawns. I'm in a different climate so my mixes aren't applicable to your applications.

6. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I would say he has a vested interest in making statements like that wouldn't you?

Unfortunately, hydroseeding is like many other trades in that there are shady, unscrupulous operators who simply do a bad job.

But, assuming a job is done right, and that means proper soil preparation as well as application, about the only way it will fail is if the customer fails to water.

Don't get me wrong, you guys can say and believe anything you want about the process. I am not here to convert anybody but just think...if hydroseeding doesn't work then why is it's popularity increasing in virtually every sector of the country?

Don't answer....just think about it :eek:

7. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Testify!!!!!:D

8. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

For some reason hydroseeding is not real common in our area. I see it most on the sides of the highways. It is used some in rural areas, I assume because of cost savings on larger yards. It is rare in urban Dallas, again I assume because the small yards make sodding affordable. So I really know little about the process. I cover both urban and rural areas so I am still open to it, as long as I know it works.

I assume the mulch keeps the seed in place better, and allows it to retain moisture. How well does it hold in heavy downpours. Do you reapply if some is washed away under warranty, or do you do this at an extra cost.

Thanks again to you answers to elementary questions.

Bryan

9. GreginAlaska

GreginAlaska Banned

I've hydro-seeded a couple hundred yards and have never had one fail. I've also done a number of highway jobs and never had any of them fail either. I do give very detailed instructions to homeowners on how to take care of their hydro-mulched yard and we go back and check on them. One common thing is for people to not water it enough.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If you put the same effort into preping your lawn for hydroseed as you would for laying sod, then you pay strick attention to watering needs as you do for sod and if you also pay attention to fertilization needs as you would for a soded lawn. Then hydroseeding will perform as well as sod at less than half the price. On the other hand, if you just throw the sod ontop of poorly prepared soil dont keep it watered or fertilized, then the results will be very similar to a hydroseeded lawn that wasnt prepared or cared for properly except it would have cost you twice as much. As turfquip said, think about it.