hydro seeding

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Rons lawn care, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Rons lawn care

Rons lawn care LawnSite Member

I am always looking for ways to make extra revenue,is anybody out there doing hydro-seeding. there is no one within 35 miles of me doing it and it appears to be profitable.What is a general charge for this per- k and what are product cost. I know that there are many variables about what goes into a mix.what are the negative and positive aspects of this part of the lawn care business. thanks.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Bids typically go out on a square foot basis, if you are in a competitive area they can be as low as 2.5 cents per sq ft

This can be a very good and profitable business if you are attached to the right contracts, state and federal governments are doing a lot of highway projects now and when spring comes even more. Builders always need it done on every project

I would check your local building code and ask how well it is enforced, where I am they are "supposed" to treat new contruction projects within 48 hours of leveling the soil. unfortunately it is not enforced very well

If you are headed that direction you should look at all of the other "things" that need to be done in construction like that, silt fences, super silt fences, holding ponds, etc. If you can be a one stop shop you will be able to control your profit better I would think

3. BlueRidgeLawnService

BlueRidgeLawnService LawnSite Member

I hydroseed as kind of a side job. The first year I bought mine it paid for its self. If you know alot of contractors and graders then I would talk to them and see if they would use you before you buy one. I'm thinking about saleing mine and upgradeing to a bigger one mine is 650 gallon I wouldn't buy one no smaller than that you'll spend more time driveing than spraying and you don't get paid to drive. I always charged buy the tank except if I had to bid it out. Hope this helps

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I was down near Naples FL and stopped in to a larger hydroseed contractor he had a custom made 5000 gallon hydroseeder, it had 4 turrets one on each corner of the tank. It also had 3 motors, one for the truck, one for the pump and one for the aggitator

talk about "Get R done"

Good point on the size of the unit, another is the size of the filling hose, last year I saw a guy and he used a 3/4 garden hose. I would see him sleeping in the cab while the thing filled up. One time I walked by when he was out of the truck and I said "wouldn't you save a lot of time and money with a larger hose?", he didn't say anything and just looked at me with a mind your own business look

I would definately ask around before you sink alot of money into it, those things are not cheap.

5. BlueRidgeLawnService

BlueRidgeLawnService LawnSite Member

I use a 4" hose to fill mine takes about 15 min for the whole fill up