Hydro slipping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony S, Jun 19, 2000.

1. Tony S

Tony S LawnSite Member

I have a Scag stz with 4000 hours. The left drive tire will go forward and back just fine on the flat lawns. The problem comes in on hills or when going up the ramp on the trailer. It just won't go. This started the end of last year and seems to be getting worse. Bad pump? Wheel motor? The only adjustment I know of is on the pumps. I have them both turned all the way in. I change the fluid and filter every year. Any Ideas ?<p>----------<br>&lt;A HREF=&quot;mailto:procutlawn@hotmail.com&quot;&gt;Tony S.&lt;/A&gt;<br>
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Possibly the drive belt underneath is loose. Try adjusting the pulley that tightens it.
  3. Tony S

Tony S LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. I did changed the belt and tention spring, but left wheel still slips.<p>----------<br>&lt;A HREF=&quot;mailto:procutlawn@hotmail.com&quot;&gt;Tony S.&lt;/A&gt;<br>
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I just thought that might be the easy fix, but its never that easy is it? From what I've heard wheel motors rarely go bad. The pump is probably weak, go to a good mechanic and see if he just recommends replacing it.
  5. Alan

Alan Member

I demoed a used Scag that did the same thing. I got caught in the bottom of a &quot;bowl&quot; with it and coudl not get back up the grade to get out. Dealer finally had to replace a pump to get it to sell.
  6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The only way to know for sure is to put a pressure guage on the output hose.<p>My guess is the pump is worn and not producing adequate pressure.