Hydro "Stop Leak" product out there?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Sep 7, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a product that you can put in the hydro oil to stop the constant little drip from under hydro drives? I have radiator stop leak stuff for the radiator, so i didnt know if there was some kind of hydro product too for the hydro system. Anybody?:confused:
  2. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know of anything that you can add to hyd. oil to stop it from leaking. The best advice i can give is to either replace the shaft seal, or seal the threads on any fittings that might be leaking. I dont how old your mower is, but over time the shaft seal can wear. That seal can also wear a groove around the shaft where the lip rides. In that case installing a shaft seal won't work. You'll need to install a new shaft in the hyd. motor, or have the old one welded up and turned down then polished.
    You can also just put a rag under it if it's not that bad.
  3. Are your hydro input shafts worn?
  4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

No, the leak isnt from the shafts. Its from the bottom of hte hydros. I'm guessing the sealsb are beginning to detioriate. :confused:
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

There generally is seal replacement kits for under 30 bucks. Check with J. Thomas. E-mail them if its not on their site.
  6. UNder the pump is the input shaft