1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro to Mobil one ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Redmowers, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

Has anyone changed and started using Mobil 1 for hydro oil? Is there any benefit? I see the newer reservoirs are smaller when Mobil 1 is used,but mine holds 10.4 qts of 10-40 oil This could get expensive.I am going to use it in my engine as soon as it breaks in later this spring.Just wondering if anyone has done it and if any noticable improvments.
  2. Prime Seasons

Prime Seasons LawnSite Member

I don't know what you are running in your hydros now, but if you have some hours on them I wouldn't change over. Might create different wear areas or types when changing over to a different viscosity/type of oil.

My exmarks all use Mobil 1 for hydro systems. Still am not sold on using Mobil 1 for the engine. Might make the unit run cooler & better lubricted, but for the price, why not just keep the engine shroud and fins clean and change regular oil more often? Personal opinion: I would not run synthetic in the engine and expect to change the oil less often.

3. Redmowers

10.4 qts 10W-40 in my hydro . The engine 10W-30 1.2 qts.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You didn't mention what brand of mowers you have, but I think most if not all hydro's on ZTR's have motor oil type oil in them, not hydraulic oil. My Choppers use a special blend oil called VTC oil.
  5. Redmowers

Honda 7013 48" uses regular 10W-40 motor oil for hydro oil
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Always used the Mobile 1 red cap oil.
  7. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

I have been using all Amsoil products for the last 8 years.
    It has the highest boiling point of any oil on the market which means the best protection.
    I have been using it in my Dixie and change the oil once a year. That is mainly due to the amsoil bypass filter that the dixie has.
  8. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I run Mobil 1 in my hydros and the engines. Yes it is a little more expensive. $4.50 a quart(around there), but its cheaper than getting an overhaul. I think for what we put them through I should use the best stuff out there.
  9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a leaky hydro and said the heck with going to dealer and getting their special oil, $5 something a quart. Was only going to use it until parts were replaced. Went down to the Mobil station and got the Mobil 1 10w30. I think that the hydros worked better with the Mobil 1 in them. Thats what I still use.
  10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I don't know which make you have, but in Choppers, you add 15/50 in the hydro's. That 10/30 oil maybe to light. If you have a good sealed system, the only time you should need to add oil is when changing filters.