hydro transmission

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by larry schaefer, Oct 6, 2003.

1. larry schaefer

larry schaefer LawnSite Member

speeds up and slows down pedal also moves up and down when i checked fluid level at the distick pressure blew oil everywhere

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh-huh ... right.
    :confused:

3. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

4. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

need a little more info than that, Larry. what kind of machine are you talking about? check the tank cap and see if it is venting properly. That's about all the advice I can offer without knowing what kind of equipment you're working on.

5. larry schaefer

i have looked for a vent but couldn't find one it is a bolens model 1664 (H16X1) i believe it has a peerless hydro. it is about 20 yrs old

6. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

What is exacty wrong with the unit?

7. larry schaefer

ground speed slows up and then picks up again, constantly Icannot hold pedal from moving up and down to maintain constant speed. after using the mower for an hour with it doing that I shut it off to check the oil which I had just changed I pulled out the dipstick and there was so much pressure in the case oil blew out like OLD FAITHFUL. there is no vent built on the unit anywhere.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is it a new unit??? Air in the lines???

9. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

The transmission itself isn't vented but the oil reservoir tank should have a vented cap to allow air into the tank as fluid level gets lower and to allow for expansion of the heated fluid without building up pressure in the tank, and to release any air that is in the lines or in the pump itself. Forgive me if I'm wrong since I'm not totally familiar with your exact mower, but just based on my experience with hydrostatic drive equipment(both zero turn riders and commercial walk behind mowers), they all have some kind of oil reservoir tank to supply the hydros with oil; and the tank has to be vented.(usually accomplished with a vented cap)