Hydro troubles Toro 455D 4x4

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by crawford_darrel, Oct 11, 2007.

1. crawford_darrel

crawford_darrel LawnSite Member
    from NE Iowa

I had my hydro and front motor rebuilt because they acted weak to me. One of the problems I had and now still have is the ground speed changes dramaticially going up hills and down hills. When going up it slows down even with peddle floored and then going down hill it will just race. I did n't send in my charge pump or the rear motor and I did change the oil and filter. Before I sent in the parts for rebuild I checked the charge pressure and it was at spec. The travel pressure should have been 6000psi and I had 3500 so figured that was the problem. Any ideas?
  2. jaredsiskinc

jaredsiskinc LawnSite Member

Hello Im looking for a 455d complete deck. Di you fix yours or will you sell it? Thanks , Jared Sisk 816-517-4532 Odessa Mo.
  3. crawford_d

crawford_d LawnSite Member

Outfront Rotary
    Item: 1993 Toro 455D
    Asking Price: 5300
    Condition: good to very good
    Hours: 3955
    Comments: This is a 4WD unit including a 2WD unit for parts.
    Skippack Golf Club
    Skippack, PA
    tel: 610-584-4579 fax: 610-584-2425
    Posted: 01/25/2008
    TurfNet ID#: 9029

Try this guy as he has an extra deck or parts machine. dlc
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Hey would you guys know if there was a way to be able to cut in transport mode? or if it would destroy your hydros? I have the same machine, but it's like a dog. figured there had to be some sort of safety switch or something.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Have you checked your pressures after the rebuild? What about the ones you havn't rebuilt, are those pressures up to spec? As far as it slowing down you may have a relief or a check valve problem. What about engine rpm's?
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'm not at all familiar with these machines but what exactly happens if you try to cut in transport, the deck motors just barely turn? If this is the case there is nothing you can do because the wheel motors have priority and only any additional oil flow are going to the decks. If this is the case i'd just recommend what I suggested above by checking engine rpm's and all your pressures to be sure they are within spec.
  7. paponte

I have to check in the manual, but it appears there is a safety switch that will not allow the blades to engage in transport mode, only in low gear. May sound like a st00pid idea, but the machine is just a turtle at only 6mph in low when you have 180 acres to cut.
  8. rjxj

rjxj LawnSite Member

How many hours after the repair work? Anytime we open the system or change oil we then jack it up and let it run in forward and reverse for an hour or two to be sure all the air is out. I dont know if it will help you but I have seen it make a major difference in the performance of a couple units.
  9. crawford_d

crawford_d LawnSite Member

Before you start changing the engineering of the 455D machine to mow in transport why don't you just get a 580D and be done with it?
  10. paponte

It's a thought, but not exactly the easiest machines to come across around here. I already have the 455D and was looking to get a little more production out of it for the meantime.