Hydro Vs Belt 36"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gravedigger5, May 9, 2003.

1. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Getting ready to purchase a 36" in the next couple of weeks. Already done a lot of searches on this subject, but looking for some HONEST opinions:D I already have a 62" ztr I use on most of my accounts, but have a few places I use a 21" or my 48" belt drive wb. Have a couple of gated backyards where I'm sure a 36" will fit. Going to sell the 48" cause it is getting "well used" and about done. My major question is whether to by a hydro or belt? Cost is not prohibitive but is certainly a factor when it comes to profit vs productivity. This will not be my primary mower, but have not been happy with my 48" belt drives performance. I'm kinda split here 50/50 on what to get. Have also considered a flex-deck attachment for this mower and am not sure if the belt drive will handle the extra strain out to one side, very well. I always promote "dealer dealer dealer" on here at LS and all my dealer carries is Toro, but I am not going to put blinders on when it comes to different brands. Thanks for reading and value all your opinions. Marc

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Hydro, without a doubt.

3. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

hydro all the way,it will have real reverse and is a heck of a lot less tiresome then beltdrive.The hydro will be way more productive.

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

How much are you willing to spend and how much will you be using the mower? If it is just to get thru a few gates for my money the belt drive. Than again I am a frugal rascal.:)

5. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

If you can spend all you want to, buy the Hydro.....

If money is a little tight...buy the Belt.

6. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

If this is not your primary mower, it will surely last you 5 years or more.... right??? Well, would you rather be using a hydro vs. a belt drive for about $300 a year difference? I sure would... :)

Good Luck, Clay

7. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Money to spend on it is not the problem, appx $1300 difference. The ones I have looked at the belt is about $3300 and the hydro is about $4600. To justify the $1300 difference for the amount of use is the main question. If i use just as a 36" mower it will probably see limited use (4 to 5 hrs weekly) but if I go to a flex deck attachment, it will become a 52" trimming machine that would see 10 hrs or more weekly and be more capable of being a backup to the 62" mower in a pinch. Thanks for the replies, Marc

8. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Just got a Bunton Hydro 36" this year and love it. Easy to manuver and hold hills. Paid $3200 out the door. Great mower for the price and would put it up against any mower out there.

9. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I dumped most of the belt drives a few yrs. ago & have seen a huge increase in productivity. A few routes have gone from 8 to 5 hrs.. One older guy refuses to use the hydros but he can manipulate the belts almost like they were hydros. He's a large fella.

Also less downtime & repairs now.

10. Less down time and repairs I don't agree with///////

GD5; you kinda answered this one your self. the 52" back-up machine. Hydro 36" Viking.