Hydro vs Belt Drive

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by drewskee032, Oct 19, 2006.

1. drewskee032

drewskee032 LawnSite Member

I mow about 13 lawns per week and am looking into buying an eXmark lawn mower. I think I'm either going to get a TTHP (hydro drive 17 hp) which is $5000 out the door, or a TTHP (belt drive 15 hp) which my dealer said would be $4000 out the door. If i mowed lawns for another 4 yrs, which one would you guys get? The hydro or belt? For you guys who have the belt drives, do you like them? Did you wish that you had gotten a hydro?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hydro:) only:waving:
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Exmark Belt drive. I got it used,, so the price was right and it does not get used that often. However, I wish I had a Hydro. Right now it is not on the upper list of priorites, but it would be nice. Maybe a year or two down the road for me.
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

My belt drive Gravely didn't work in the rain, the belts slipped. Consider hydro for mowing in all conditions.

However, for $5K i'd get a used ZTR. No question.
  5. drewskee032

I'm only doing small residental lawns and there are lots of steep slopes so I'm definetly going to get a WB.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Put it this way. I bought a belt drive, used it for 10 hours and sold it for hydro.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

A hydro walk is great on hills and in tight places.
  8. SPJ Lawnscape

SPJ Lawnscape LawnSite Member
    from Indy

For hills and tight area hydro is the only way to go. But are you sold only on Exmark? Have you looked at anything else. Those prices seem high.
  9. drewskee032

Why would a hydro drive be better on hills? Would the belt slip on the belt drive?
  10. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

i have all belt drive stuff, and they work great. you just have to change the belts every once and a while. for 13 residential lawns i would stick with belt. if money isn't a problem go hydro, since hydro is by far a much better unit.