1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydro VS Belt drive

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Drober1, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Drober1

Drober1 LawnSite Member

What is the difference as far as proformance and reliability, when it comes to hydrostatic mowers VS belt drive models?
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

All I will say is that I used to strictly just use belts, until I bought a hydro one day..lets just say that I will never go back to a belt

Things that I have found out is that maintenance is less, productivity is higher, almost no downtime, and perfect to use on hills and in wet conditions.
  4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a lot less stressfull on the operator to use a hydro... but who is going to be using the mower, you or your employees? I am like tiedeman though.. all I use now is hydros because I see my crew getting more productivity out of them then the belts. Sacrafice the money and buy a hydro if possible, especially if you are going to be using it.
  5. griffy

griffy LawnSite Member

Go into the Commercial Lawncare forum and read my review of the Gravley pro G.
    It will hopefully give you a better insight to a gear belt driven mower. I found it to be a pain. There might be better belt driven mowers out there aside from Gravely but i found the belt drive mechnism to suck on mine.
    I strongly advise looking into a Hydro, more money but less headache and maintenance in the long run.

6. needforspeed

needforspeed LawnSite Member

Depends on what you are upgrading from, if you are just starting out a gear drive is a good start, you can make a lot of money with them,Exmark has a metro hp with a floating deck gear drive, and a (ECS) Enhanced Control System, very comfortable, Get the geardrive paid off if not allready, and up grade to a hydro,as far as proformance goes you can't beat a hydro, you have istant forward-to-reverse and infinite speed control, I like the hydro systems on the exmarks they use Mobil 1 synt, only 1 Qt, and 1 filter per year, and add a sulky on one and get ready to make some $$$

7. Port City Lawncare

Port City Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I bought a new belt-drive last week and it works fine. One thing to consider before making the decision is cost. I got a great deal on my 48. I agree that hydro is easier to use (e.g reverse) BUt, now that I've had to back it off of the trailor a few times it becomes easier and easier, therfore the 'reverse' isn't a factor for me.